By Heather Gabbert, NutriGab-Let’s Talk Nutrition: MS, RD, CD.
Breakfast really is the most important meal of the day. I believe this so much that I provide the Spokane Shock arena football team with breakfast foods each week along with healthy nutrition tips, specifically breakfast ideas. Good nutrition is important for everyone, not just athletes, and starting with a healthy breakfast is a great way to kick off your day. Awaken your body and mind with these simple breakfast options to help fuel your muscles and give your body the carbohydrates, protein and healthy fats needed to support being physically active.
Give these breakfast ideas a try
- oatmeal with nuts, dried fruit, yogurt, tea or water
- yogurt parfait made with yogurt, fresh fruit or frozen berries, mixed nuts, low-fat granola or high fiber cereal such as Kashi or Raisin Bran
- egg white omelet with cheese, turkey sausage (or tofu) crumbles plus veggies, & fresh fruit
- toasted whole grain bagel with peanut butter, banana, & a glass of milk
- high fiber cereal such as Grape Nuts or Shredded Wheat with milk, & topped with almonds