For many people, mornings are a busy time. With early work meetings, late nights doing homework, children’s extra-curricular activities, whatever the reason, breakfast is sometimes rushed or skipped altogether. It is true though, breakfast is the most important meal of the day. A common misconception is that skipping breakfast can help you lose weight. NOT TRUE! Failing to “break your overnight fast” can slow your metabolism making it much harder for your body to burn fat. Studies show people who skip breakfast are also more likely to eat sugary snacks throughout the day.
Eating a healthy breakfast is vital for your mind as well as your body. Eating breakfast boosts your mood, aids in concentration and improves memory. If you feel rushed in the morning, prep your morning meal the night before or make your meals portable. For example:
- Cut up vegetables and store them in the refrigerator. Mushrooms, spinach, etc. can use in an omelet or a whole wheat tortilla with egg whites. Cooking eggs takes only a few minutes.
- Make a breakfast burrito from the ingredients above wrap the burrito in aluminum foil and take it on the go.
- Cut up fresh fruit and store in a portable container, such as Tupperware, so you can grab it on the way out the door.
- Make instant oatmeal in a microwave safe Tupperware and take it on the go as well.
- Prepare a smoothie in just a few minutes in the morning with cut up fresh fruit, yogurt and ice.
Whether you want to lose weight or simply be a little healthier, it is vital that you start your day with a nutritious breakfast.