By Jacy Fitzpatrick, Health Educator Specialist
As we dive into the year of 2013 many of us will be determined to make some positive lifestyle changes. With that said, a lot of us will be going out and about more, riding bikes, taking brisk walks outside, getting gym memberships, and just simply being more active. Stickman Knows is Spokane’s first comprehensive bike, pedestrian, and motorist safety awareness campaign. Its goal is to reduce the number of bicyclist and pedestrian collisions in Spokane County. The newest health code; 85210 and the Stickman Knows campaign play hand in hand in helping empower the community to make these positive changes. Both campaigns are focused on doing this safely and effectively while also giving you the tools to sustain them.
Integrating the “1” in 85210 means you are getting up and moving for at least 60 minutes every day! This is where Stickman comes into play and helps educate you on how to do this safely. Here are a few main messages Stickman wants you to practice whether you are a biker, walker, or motorist:
• Pedestrians, always cross at corners or in crosswalks.
• Pedestrians, before crossing, look left, right, and then left again.
• Pedestrians, make sure you’re visible to drivers.
• Bicyclists, always stop at traffic lights and stop signs.
• Bicyclists, ride with traffic, not against it.
• Bicyclists, you’re safer when a driver knows what to expect. Be predictable.
• Motorists, bicyclists have all the same rights as drivers.
• Motorists, watch for bicyclists and pedestrians before turning.
For more information on safety rules, laws, or educational material visit the Stickman Knows website! Don’t forget to try and get 8 hours of sleep, 5 fruits and vegetables, 2 or fewer hours of recreational screen time, 1 hour of physical activity, and 0 sugary drinks daily. Check out the many free resources 85210 has to offer today!